- What to Expect During a Hearing Test: A Comprehensive Guide - November 9, 2023
- The Ringing, Buzzing, and Hissing: All About Tinnitus - October 16, 2023
- Choosing Between Cochlear Implants and Hearing Aids - September 14, 2023
Hearing loss is one of the fastest-growing health issues today. Impacting nearly 48 million people, hearing loss is the third most common chronic medical condition that people experience today. Though it is widespread, hearing loss is often underdiagnosed. It is estimated that only one-third of people who could benefit from treatment receive it. Treating hearing loss offers life-changing benefits that transform the daily quality of life and overall health. Taking action to address and treat hearing impairment is a critical way to invest in your health and wellness.
Benefits of Treating Hearing Loss
There are countless benefits of treating hearing loss. Treatment not only maximizes hearing capacity but improves communication, health, and relationships. Major benefits include:
- Strengthens communication. Hearing aids are the most common treatment for hearing loss. These are electronic devices that are designed to absorb, amplify, and process sound. This provides the ears and brain with significant support that makes hearing and communication much easier. Hearing aids alleviate hearing loss symptoms, allowing people to detect and process sound more readily. This enables people to participate in conversations with greater ease and comfort. Conversations don’t feel as laborious, stressful, or tiresome with the assistance of hearing aids.
- Improves relationships. It is common for untreated hearing loss to produce strain on relationships. People often report feeling ignored, frustrated, or unheard by their loved one with impaired hearing. Because conversations become challenging, people can keep them to a minimum which is particularly challenging in relationships because day-to-day communication is integral. The treatment strengthens communication by supporting hearing which allows people to spend quality time and have conversations without the barriers symptoms present. Quality time, greater capacity for intimacy, and rich conversations nurture and sustain connections that improve relationships.
- Supports an active social life. Hearing aids support hearing in all types of environments. This includes settings with more background noise and during conversations with multiple people. Having a greater capacity to navigate social settings and conversations supports a thriving social life. People are better able to be more present and engage fully during conversations and social activities.
- Enhances overall health. Untreated hearing loss increases the risk of developing other health conditions. This includes cognitive decline (dementia and Alzheimer’s), depression, as well as accidental injuries. The treatment alleviates these risks by improving hearing which has multifaceted effects. Increased capacity to hear and process sound supports enhanced brain health, decreasing the risk of cognitive decline. It also strengthens relationships and social life which contributes to happiness and wellness, reducing depressive symptoms. Additionally being able to hear across all environments increases spatial awareness, reducing the risk of accidental injuries.
These benefits are among many which can significantly transform one’s quality of life. Treating hearing loss boosts confidence, independence, and overall happiness. This illuminates the importance of treating hearing loss as soon as you notice any changes to your hearing health.
You can prioritize your hearing health today by taking the first step: scheduling an appointment for a hearing test. Hearing tests involve a painless process that measures hearing capacity in both ears. This identifies any hearing loss and the degree of impairment one could be experiencing. Experts suggest getting a hearing test annually which is an important way to stay on top of your hearing health and needs. Even if no hearing impairment is detected, establishing a baseline for your hearing health makes it easier to identify any changes that may occur in the future.
Once your hearing needs are established, your hearing healthcare provider then makes recommendations for treatment that can meet those needs. They will thoroughly discuss which hearing aid devices would work best for you and your lifestyle. Depending on the hearing aid you choose, there may be molds taken off your ears to custom make hearing aid pieces. Your follow-up appointment will be for your hearing aid fitting which is when you learn all about how to best use and maintain your new hearing aid!
Investing in your health and wellness is as simple as calling us to schedule your appointment for a hearing consultation. Our practice offers individualized care that is invested in transforming your hearing health. Call us today to learn more!